Sunday, July 17, 2016

Discovering the Great and Precious Promises of GOD (GOD our Comforter)

In these days of parlous times, where because of iPhones, TV cameras watching streets, and News Agencies everywhere. This world seems to be upside down in chaos everywhere.....especially because of the ease of our receiving current events as they happen, except in those areas of darkness and extreme evil. Because the people in those countries live under bondage of a mindset dating back to mans dark ages of the Meds and Persians. Whereas the rest of the world though evil live in comfort of that evil because of the blood and cross of Christ Jesus. With that said, I will turn my attention toward Pastor Hoekstra and Grace before looking into GOD's Comfort with the use of the ESV translation.

"Momentary Light Afflictions, Eternal Weight of Glory"

"For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory." (2Corinthians 4:17)

As Gods Saints and Believers in Jesus Christ, we are "ministers [servants] of the New Covenant" (2Corinthians 3:6). We serve God by His Grace, experiencing it and passing it on to others. "For all things are for your sakes, that Grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God" (2Corinthians 4:15). One astounding privilege of living and serving "en unity with" Grace is that our momentary light afflictions can be producing for us an eternal weight of glory! 

Having our temporal difficulties "working for us" is a new, heavenly perspective on afflictions. People generally consider their afflictions as something that is working against them, not for them. Yet, afflictions can work for good, and the good is even eternal! What a gracious plan and purpose is revealed in this contrast: "light affliction . . . for a moment" and "eternal weight of glory." 

First, consider that heavenly enjoyment of GOD's "glory." This can result from our earthly experiences of "affliction." The difficulties that we endure here on earth can prepare us for opportunities to enter into more glorious fellowship, worship, and service of the LORD in heaven.

Then, consider that our afflictions are "light" compared to the "weight" of the glories that lie ahead. This does not mean that our trials on earth are trivial. Note the "light afflictions" that Paul encountered. "In journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness — besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches" (2Corinthians 11:26-28). Yet, Paul counted these as light when compared to the "substantial magnitude" of the glory awaiting him in heaven. 

Lastly, consider that the difficulties of life are "but for a moment." Whereas, the resulting heavenly blessings are "eternal." Trials often seem like they will never end. Yet, they eventually pass away. Actually, it is the heavenly glory that results from the trials that will never end. 

What an amazing plan and purpose God has! He wants to use the trials of our lives to enlarge our spiritual capacity to enter more fully into the glory of knowing Him, worshiping Him, and serving Him forever and forever!"


GOD as the Giver of Comfort:
(Psalm 71:17-21 "O God, from my youth You have taught me, and I still proclaim Your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim Your might to another generation, Your power to all those to come. Your Righteousness, O God, reaches the high heavens. You Who have done great things, O God, who is like You? You Who have made me see many troubles and calamities Will revive me again; from the depths of the earth You Will bring me up again. You will increase my greatness and comfort me again.")

Psalm 86:14-17 "O God, insolent men have risen up against me; a band of ruthless men seeks my life, and they do not set You before them. But You, O LORD, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. Turn to me and be gracious to me; give Your strength to Your servant, and save the son of Your maidservant. Show me a sign of Your favor, that those who hate me may see and be put to shame because You, LORD, have helped me and comforted me."

Isaiah 12:1-6 "You will say in that day: "I will give thanks to You, O LORD, for though You were angry with me, Your anger turned away, that You might comfort me. "Behold, GOD is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation." With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day: "Give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name, make known His deeds among the peoples, proclaim that His name be exalted. "Sing praises to the LORD, for He has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth. Shout, and sing for joy, O inhabitant of Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel."

Isaiah 51:1-3, 12-16 "Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, you who seek the LORD: look to the rock from which you were hewn, and to the quarry from which you were dug. Look to Abraham your father and to Sarah who bore you; for he was but one when I called him, that I might bless him and multiply him. For the LORD comforts Zion; He comforts all her waste places and makes her wilderness like Eden, her desert like the garden of the LORD; joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the voice of song....... "I, I am He Who comforts you; who are you that you are afraid of man who dies, of the son of man who are made like grass, and have forgotten the LORD, your Maker, Who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth, and you fear continually all the day because of the wrath of the oppressor, when he sets himself to destroy? And where is the wrath of the oppressor? He who is bowed down shall speedily be released; he shall not die and go down to the pit, neither shall his bread be lacking. I am the LORD your GOD, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar— the LORD of hosts is His name. And I have put My words in your mouth and covered you in the shadow of My hand, establishing the heavens and laying the foundations of the earth, and saying to Zion, 'You are my people.'"
Isaiah 66:7-17 "Before she was in labor she gave birth; before her pain came upon her she delivered a son. Who has heard such a thing? Who has seen such things? Shall a land be born in one day? Shall a nation be brought forth in one moment? For as soon as Zion was in labor she brought forth her children. Shall I bring to the point of birth and not cause to bring forth?" says the LORD; "shall I, Who cause to bring forth, shut the womb?" says your GOD. "Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad for her, all you who love her; rejoice with her in joy, all you who mourn over her; that you may nurse and be satisfied from her consoling breast; that you may drink deeply with delight from her glorious abundance." For thus says the LORD: "Behold, I Will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the nations like an overflowing stream; and you shall nurse, you shall be carried upon her hip, and bounced upon her knees. As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem. You shall see, and your heart shall rejoice; your bones shall flourish like the grass; and the hand of the LORD shall be known to His servants, and He shall show His indignation against His enemies. "For behold, the LORD Will come in fire, and His chariots like the whirlwind, to render His anger in fury, and His rebuke with flames of fire. For by fire will the LORD enter into judgment, and by His sword, with all flesh; and those slain by the LORD shall be many. "Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go into the gardens, following one in the midst, eating pig's flesh and the abomination and mice, shall come to an end together, declares the LORD."

2Corinthians 1:2, 3-7, 7:5-16 "Grace to you and peace from GOD our Father and the LORD Jesus Christ.  Blessed be the GOD and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and GOD of all comfort, Who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by GOD. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. 
Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.For even when we came into Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were afflicted at every turn—fighting without and fear within. But GOD, Who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort with which he was comforted by you, as he told us of your longing, your mourning, your zeal for me, so that I rejoiced still more. For even if I made you grieve with my letter, I do not regret it—though I did regret it, for I see that that letter grieved you, though only for a while. As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. For godly grief produces a Repentance that leads to Salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death. For see what earnestness this godly grief (GOD produces within) has produced in you, but also what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what punishment! At every point you have proved yourselves innocent in the matter. So although I wrote to you, it was not for the sake of the one who did the wrong, nor for the sake of the one who suffered the wrong, but in order that your earnestness for us might be revealed to you in the sight of GOD. Therefore we are comforted. And besides our own comfort, we rejoiced still more at the joy of Titus, because his spirit has been refreshed by you all. For whatever boasts I made to him about you, I was not put to shame. But just as everything we said to you was true, so also our boasting before Titus has proved true. And his affection for you is even greater, as he remembers the obedience of you all, how you received him with fear and trembling. I rejoice, because I have complete confidence in you."



No comments:

Post a Comment