Saturday, March 12, 2016

Discovering the Great and Precious Promises of GOD (continuing with Divine Guidance)

Today I am about looking at the Lords command to "ask," which can also be said the be crying out to GOD. But the question then should be asked of what purpose or good would that do if I or you could not hear GODS voice. As was the very problem for all of Israel and this we see in Acts 28 where we find this,
Acts 28:17-22, 23-28 "After three days Paul called together the local leaders of the Hebrews, the Jews, and when they had gathered, he said to them, "Brothers, though I had done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans. When they had examined me, they wished to set me at liberty, because there was no reason for the death penalty in my case. But because the Jews objected, I was compelled to appeal to Caesar—though I had no charge to bring against my nation. For this reason, therefore, I have asked to see you and speak with you, since it is because of the hope of Israel that I am wearing this chain." And they said to him, "We have received no letters from Judea about you, and none of the brothers coming here has reported or spoken any evil about you. But we desire to hear from you what your views are, for with regard to this sect we know that everywhere it is spoken against."
When they had appointed a day for him, they came to Paul again at his lodging in greater numbers. From morning till evening he expounded to them, testifying to the kingdom of GOD and trying to convince them about Jesus both from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets. And some were convinced by what he said, but others disbelieved. And disagreeing among themselves, they departed after Paul had made one statement: "The Holy Spirit was right in saying to your fathers through Isaiah the prophet: "'Go to this people, and say, "You will indeed hear but never understand, and you will indeed see but never perceive." For this people's heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed; lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them.' Therefore let it be known to you that this Salvation of GOD has been sent to the Gentiles; they will listen."

All that said let me turn to Pastor Hoekstra's writing on the New Covenant of Grace and the Holy Spirit and then I will turn my attention to "asking." Making full use of the ESV translation and as has become my normal practice I will edit where the LORD leads.

                    "Reflecting on the Holy Spirit and Grace"
"And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me Whom they have pierced; they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn."  (Zechariah 12:10)

"Let's take a reflective look at our meditations on the Holy Spirit as a reminder that we are still studying about the Grace of GOD. In considering how to live by the fullness of the Spirit, we have examined how to live more fully by the Grace of GOD.

In Zechariah 4:6, we observed the connection between living by the Spirit and living by the Grace of GOD. Or put another way the Grace that is Christ as both Christ and GOD are synonymous terms. "Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit." Serving the LORD is accomplished by the work of the Spirit in and through our lives, not by natural capabilities. The next verse restates this Truth in terms of GOD's Grace. "And HE shall bring forth the capstone with shouts of "Grace, grace to it!'" Every completed task in the service of God is accomplished by His Grace (GOD's resources), not by our ingenuity or merit.

We also saw how the early church experienced this Relationship between the Spirit and Grace. "They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of GOD with boldness . . . And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great Grace was upon them all" (Acts 4:31, 33). The Boldness they experienced through the Holy Spirit is described as a result of great Grace at work within and upon them.

Jesus came to establish the New Covenant of Grace. "This cup is the New Covenant in My blood" (Luke 22:20). This covenant is characterized by Grace, in contrast to the old covenant that Moses set in place. "For the law was given through Moses, but Grace and Truth came through Jesus Christ" (John 1:17). This New Covenant of Grace is also a Covenant of the Spirit. "Our sufficiency is from GOD, Who also made us sufficient as ministers of the New Covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives Life" (2Corinthians 3:5-6)

When the LORD Christ Jesus returns and all of Israel will humbly bows to Him as their Messiah, this wondrous response will be the result of "the Spirit of Grace" (Zechariah 12:10) being poured out upon them. This glorious title, identifying Grace with the Holy Spirit, beautifully sums up the grand Truth that living by Grace and walking in the Spirit are two perspectives on the same precious reality."

Ask, Special Exhortation to do so:

1Kings 3:1-5 "Solomon made a marriage alliance with Pharaoh king of Egypt. He took Pharaoh's daughter and brought her into the city of David until he had finished building his own house and the house of the LORD and the wall around Jerusalem. The people were sacrificing at the high places, however, because no house had yet been built for the name of the LORD. Solomon loved the LORD, walking in the statutes of David his father, only he sacrificed and made offerings at the high places. And the king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there, for that was the great high place. Solomon used to offer a thousand burnt offerings on that altar. At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night, and GOD said, "Ask what I shall give you."

Zechariah 10:1 "Ask rain from the LORD in the season of the spring rain, from the LORD Who makes the storm clouds, and HE Will give them showers of rain, to everyone the vegetation in the field. For the household gods utter nonsense, and the diviners see lies; they tell false dreams and give empty consolation. Therefore the people wander like sheep; they are afflicted for lack of a shepherd. "My anger is hot against the shepherds, and I will punish the leaders; for the LORD of Hosts cares for His flock, the house of Judah, and will make them like His majestic steed in battle. From Him shall come the cornerstone, from Him the tent peg (the emblem of a fallen house or tent), from Him the battle bow, from Him every ruler—all of them together."

Matthew 7:7-11 (Jesus is speaking) "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father Who is in heaven give good things to those who ask HIM!"

Matthew 21:20-22 "When the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, "How did the fig tree wither at once?" Jesus answered them, "Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' it will happen. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."

Luke 11:9-13 (Jesus is speaking) "I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask HIM!"

John 14:8-14, 15 "Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know Me, Philip? Whoever has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own authority, but the Father Who dwells in Me does His works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes Me Will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in My name, this I Will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I Will do it.
"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments."

John 15:1-11 (Jesus is speaking) "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in Me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing (you can not see or hear GOD, you have no perception no understanding no revelation no illumination). If anyone does not abide in Me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. (Here is a bit of insight the name LORD, LORD has within all that Jesus reveals herein) By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be My disciples. As the Father has loves Me, so have I love you. Abide in My Love (selfless Love). If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My Love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His (selfless) Love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."

John 16:16-24 (Jesus is speaking) "A little while, and you will see Me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see Me." So some of His disciples said to one another, "What is this that He says to us, 'A little while, and you will not see Me, and again a little while, and you will see Me'; and, 'because I am going to the Father'?" So they were saying, "What does He mean by 'a little while'? We do not know what He is talking about." Jesus knew that they wanted to ask Him, so He said to them, "Is this what you are asking yourselves, what I meant by saying, 'A little while and you will not see Me, and again a little while and you will see Me'? Truly, truly, I say to you, you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice (Isaiah 25:8-11, 61:3, 66:5). You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy. When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. In that day you will ask nothing of Me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in My name, HE Will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full."

James 1:5-8 "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask GOD, Who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the LORD; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

1John 5:13-15 "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of GOD that you may know that you have Eternal Life. And this is the confidence that we have toward Him, that if we ask anything according to His Will HE hears us. And if we know that HE hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment