Saturday, November 30, 2013

Ephesians Lesson 39 of 39 part 6

What Is the New Covenant and Are We Living In it?
by Michael Clark

Things became very clear to me that my salvation was not a result of my works, or even my best efforts but God’s, when I read chapter eight of Hebrews and understand what it reveals. There I read the difference between the Old Covenant of works under the Law of Moses and the New Covenant which Jeremiah prophesied of God’s wonderful Grace. The writer of Hebrews wrote:

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, He says, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt*; because they continued not in My covenant, and I regarded them not, says the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put My laws in their minds, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to Me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know Me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.” (Heb 8:7-12 KJ2000)

The first covenant (the covenant given through Moses, note also this word covenant was added as it is in italics) was doomed to failure because it hinged on the obedience of seemingly endless list of commandments, that the Hebrews had to keep. (Just as Moses lost the glory that was upon his face and he covered to hide until it had faded away. The fading away was what this covenant of laws was to do also because it could not administer life, God's Life to an already dead people.) By their own strength and as we read here they failed and broke this covenant that they made with God, thusly releasing God from doing His part. If life could have been enacted by this covenant of laws then it stands to reason it would not have been broken. So God knowing this had a further plan that WOULD work and in this plan, it is not dependent on the righteousness of the first Adam (fallen man), but the righteousness of the Last Adam, Jesus Christ. The first covenant enacted by Israel as a nation was filled with “thou shalt’s and thou shalt not’s” but the second and more perfect covenant is pronounced with a short list of “I WILL’s” and it is all fulfilled by the working of the will of God in each of us:

I will make a new covenant
I will put my laws into their minds
I will write my laws in their hearts
I will be to them a God and they shall be my people
They shall not teach every man his neighbor…for all shall know me
I will be merciful to their unrighteousness
I will remember their sins no more


In Ezekiel we read a bit more about this covenant saying,
And I will sanctify My great name, which was profaned by the Hebrews among the nations, which you have profaned in the midst of them; and the nations shall know that 'I AM' the LORD, says the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. For I will take you from among the nations (Psalm2:6-8), and gather you out of all countries (Psalm2:9), and will bring you into your own land (spiritual Zion, Beulah land Isaiah's message of 62:4-5 in similitude). Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you shall keep My judgments, and do them.” (Ezekiel 36:23-27 KJ2000)

I will sanctify my great name
I will be sanctified in you
I will take you from among the nations
I will sprinkle clean water upon you and you shall be clean
I will cleanse you
I will give you a new heart
I will put a new spirit within you
I will take away your stoney hearts
I will cause you to walk in my statues and do them


Nope, not a single “thou shalt” or “thou shalt not,” but fifteen “I will…” statements by God. The New Covenant is “good news” because Jesus and the Spirit of God gives those who surrender to Christ, receive the power to obey Him and live upright lives IN Him. We live by God’s power and heart and not our own inability to please Him by our own works. So what are all these statutes and commandments He puts on our hearts? In Hebrews again we read,

In that he says, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and grows old is ready to vanish away. (Heb 8:13 KJ2000)

If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest who should be raised after the order of Melchizedek's *, and not be called after the order of Aaron? For the priesthood has been changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. (Heb 7:11-12 KJ2000)
*as it were from death, death here being the flood of Noah, the baptism by water of Shem and his future sons, still in his loins, the seed of promise, of which Abram was one.
I just revealed the mystery and power of the blood through which life is propagated and which can be known by nature itself.


Jesus Christ is our great High Priest and with Him and His covenant came in a New and changed law. Jesus said, “A new commandment I give to you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this shall all men know that you are My disciples, if you have love one to another.” (John 13:34-35 KJ2000)

To this Paul wrote, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, self-control: against such there is no law.” (Gal 5:22-23 KJ2000)

And in Romans we read, “Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law. For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, You shall not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, namely, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Rom 13:8-9 KJ2000)

So, as we abide IN Christ we now find that we have a new heart, a new mind (the mind of Christ), a new Spirit, the Spirit of God, and are able to walk in His New Commandment, the law of love that sums up the whole old covenant law and it is all by the power of God through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the sending of His Holy Spirit to abide in us and with us. THIS is the Good News of this Gospel, not a new list of rules and regulations we have to keep by our own strength… a list that we can not keep any more that the Hebrew people could keep the laws of the first covenant given through Moses. This covenant is not the same as that cut by God and Abraham, this Covenant is based on Abraham's being counted by God as Righteous. Which Israel as a nation never attained. The New Covenant is not about us, but it is all about Him and we who abide IN Him as members of HIS Body. Our being counted with Abraham as righteous. Amen, Lord. So be it!” 
Taken from a post by Michael Clark with limited editing by me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment