Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Discovering the Great and Precrious Promises of GOD (to the Obedient)

We are looking into the Obedient and our next subject is Christ's own Obedience. But first we will look at Grace and the Law as written by Pastor Hoekstra and as has become our usual custom I will use the ESV translation. Keeping in mind that all Grace and Truth is the Character of Jesus as stated by John in John 1:14 and 17.

                               "The Initial Grace of GOD"
"I Will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more . . . For by Grace you have been saved through (the faith of Christ Jesus Who walked trusting the Fathers Promises and His Faithfulness) faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the Gift of GOD, not of works, lest anyone should boast.  (Jeremiah 31:34 and Ephesians 2:8-9)


"Again, we have the opportunity to compare Justifying Grace and Sanctifying Grace, Initial Grace and Ongoing Grace. This is always an edifying and valuable exercise, since we tend to forget that we are Sanctified through the same means that we are Justified. 


The Initial Grace that impacts our lives forever was the Justifying, Forgiving Grace of GOD. The prophets of old proclaimed this hope. The apostles of the church age applied it to us today. "I Will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I Will remember no more" (Jeremiah 31:34; also in Hebrews 8:12). When we repented of our sins and called upon the name of the Lord, we were forgiven and justified, declared not guilty and righteous in His sight.

This saving work of God on our behalf was all accomplished by the grace of God. "For by Grace you have been saved." The saving Grace of GOD is applied to lives as they grow to trust Jesus Christ as their LORD and Savior. "By Grace you have been saved through His Faith."

None of this process originates in man. All of it comes from GOD. "And that not of yourselves; it is the Gift of GOD." No aspect of Salvation derives from the efforts of man, so no one will ever be able to brag about their contribution in being saved. "Not of works, lest anyone should boast." All glory, now and forever, will go to the LORD Himself. "He who glories, let him glory in the LORD" (1Corinthians 1:31)
.
Yes, even faith does not source in man. Jesus is "the author and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2). When we believed the Lord Jesus, it was in response to an authoring, revealing work that He was doing on our behalf. Jesus manifested Himself to us through the Gospel is the One Who was able to save us sinners. The Holy Spirit was convicting us of our need. We trusted His saving work for us. Thereby, He authored Faith in us. "Worthy is the Lamb Who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing" (Revelation 5:12).

As we have seen previously, and will have opportunity to examine again and again, the Grace of GOD of which we partook for new birth and justification is the same Grace that must continually be at work in us for growth and sanctification."

Christ's Example of Obedience:

John 14:25-31 (Jesus is speaking) "These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father Will send in My name, He Will Teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. You heard Me say to you, 'I am going away, and I Will come to you.' If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe. I Will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on Me, because I do as the Father has commanded Me, so that the world may know that I love the Father."


John 15:1-11, 12 (Jesus is speaking) "I am the true Vine, and my Father is the Vine-dresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit HE takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit HE prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.  Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the Vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in Me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it Will be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be My disciples. As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you. Abide in My Love. If you keep My Commandments, you will abide in My Love, just as I have kept My Father's Commandments and abide in His Love. These things I have spoken to you, that My Joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
"This is My Commandment, that you love one another as I have love you."


Romans 5:18-21, Hebrews 5:8  "Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous. Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, Grace Abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, Grace also might reign through righteousness of One, leading to Eternal life through Jesus Christ our LORD."

Hebrews 5:5-10 "So also Christ did not exalt Himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by Him Who said to Him, "You are My Son, today I have begotten You"; as He says also in another place, "You are a Priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek." In the days of His flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to Him Who was able to save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverence. Although He was a son, He learned obedience through what He suffered. And being made perfect, He became the source of Eternal Salvation to all who obey HIM, being designated by GOD a High Priest after the order of Melchizedek." (Of the Line of Shem a gentile priest of the Most High GOD.)


Hebrews 10:4-10 "For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.  Consequently, when Christ came into the world, He said, "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body have You prepared for Me; in burnt offerings and sin offerings You have taken no pleasure. Then I said, 'Behold, I have come to do Your Will, O GOD, as it is written of Me in the scroll of the book.'" When He said the above, "You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings" (these are offered according to the Law), then He added, "Behold, I have come to do Your Will." He does away with the first in order to establish the Second.  And
by that Will we have been Sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."

No comments:

Post a Comment