Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Discovering the Great and Precious Promises of GOD (Christ Centered)

Yesterday I looked into our being in rebellion and today I wont to look at our Resignation to GOD as seen in a few of the Bible's record men like Eli, David and Job to name but a few. But first Pastor Hoekstra and his teaching on Grace, with the led of the LORD. And then with the use of the ESV translation I will look at our own Resignation by the use of others as my examples.


 "Joshua and Caleb Entering the Promised Land"

"Surely none of the men who came up from Egypt, from twenty years old and above, shall see the land of which I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, because they have not wholly followed Me, except Caleb . . . and Joshua . . . for they have wholly followed the LORD." (Numbers 32:11-12)

"Those who live by humble faith (our being bound fast with GOD, as in our being One) enter into the fullness of GOD's provisions of grace. "GOD resists the proud (a high degree of conceit), but gives grace to the humble . . . we have access by faith into this Grace in which we stand" (James 4:6 and Romans 5:2). Joshua and Caleb illustrated this truth by entering the Promised Land. 

As we have seen, GOD's great salvation is both "from" and "unto." "We have passed from death to Life" (1John 3:14). Also, this life we have been given is to be experienced in abundance. "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly" (John 10:10). Israel's calling by the LORD from bondage in Egypt to fullness in the land pictures this truth. "So I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey" (Exodus 3:8). 

Joshua and Caleb were the only adult Israelites in that first generation who went "into this fullness" of GOD's calling. They alone went into the land (of faith by grace). "Surely none of the men who came up from Egypt, from twenty years old and above, shall see the land . . . because they have not wholly followed Me, except Caleb . . . and Joshua." Joshua would not only enter the land, he would lead Israel into God's victory. "Then Moses called Joshua and said to him . . . you must go with this people to the land . . . and you shall cause them to inherit it" (Deuteronomy 31:7). Caleb would not only enter the land, he would still be strengthened by faith even in his old age. "Here I am this day, eighty-five years old. As yet I am as strong this day as I was on the day that Moses sent me; just as my strength was then, so now is my strength for war" (Joshua 14:11). 

Unlike Joshua and Caleb, the other Israelites followed the LORD's calling out from Egypt, but they did not follow Him into the land. Many Christians repeat this same error today. They have followed the Lord as He led them out of the spiritual death of sin and guilt. They are "out of Egypt." They are forgiven of their sins. They have new life in Christ. However, they do not follow the LORD on "into the land (of faith by grace)." They do not follow by faith into abundance of life. They do not follow the LORD in humble dependency for transformation, for fruitfulness, for a life of spiritual victory, of peace with rest."

Resignation's examples:

Eli,
1Samuel 3:15-18 "Samuel lay until morning; then he opened the doors of the house of the LORD. And Samuel was afraid to tell the vision to Eli. But Eli called Samuel and said, "Samuel, my son." And he said, "Here I am." Then Eli said, "What was it that HE told you? Do not hide it from me. May GOD do so to you and more also if you hide anything from me of all that HE told you." So Samuel told him everything and hid nothing from him. And he said, "It is the LORD. Let Him do what seems good to Him."


David,

2Samuel 12:21-23 and 2Samuel 15:26, 2Kings 20:19 "Then David's servants said to him, "What is this thing that you have done? You fasted and wept for the child while he was alive; but when the child died, you arose and ate food." He said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept, for I said, 'Who knows whether the LORD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?' But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me."

2Samuel 15:24-26 "Abiathar came up, and behold, Zadok came also with all the Levites, bearing the ark of the covenant of GOD. And they set down the ark of GOD until the people had all passed out of the city. Then the king said to Zadok, "Carry the ark of GOD back into the city. If I find favor in the eyes of the LORD, HE will bring me back and let me see both it and His dwelling place. But if HE says, 'I have no pleasure in you,' behold, here I am, let Him do to me what seems good to Him."
2Kings 20:16-19 "Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, "Hear the word of the LORD: Behold, the days are coming, when all that is in your house, and that which your fathers have stored up till this day, shall be carried to Babylon. Nothing shall be left, says the LORD. And some of your own sons, who shall be born to you, shall be taken away, and they shall be eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon." Then Hezekiah said to Isaiah, "The word of the LORD that you have spoken is good." For he thought, "Why not, if there will be peace and security in my days?"


Job,
Job 1:20-21 "Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."


Christ,

Mark 14:32-42 "They went to a place called Gethsemane. Jesus said to His disciples, "Sit here while I pray." And He took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be greatly distressed and troubled. And He said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death. Remain here and watch." And going a little farther, He fell on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. Then He said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Remove this cup from Me. Yet not what I will, but what You will." Then He came and found them sleeping, and He said to Peter, "Simon, are you asleep? Could you not watch one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Again He went away and prayed, saying the same words. And again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy, and they did not know what to answer Him. He came the third time and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? It is enough; the hour has come. The Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us be going; see, My betrayer is at hand."

John 18:1-11 "When Jesus had spoken these words, He went out with His disciples across the brook Kidron, where there was a garden, which He and His disciples entered. Now Judas, who betrayed Him, also knew the place, for Jesus often met there with His disciples. So Judas, having procured a band of soldiers and some officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, went there with lanterns and torches and weapons. Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to Him, came forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek?" They answered Him, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus said to them, "I am He." Judas, who betrayed Him, was standing with them. When Jesus said to them, "I am He," they drew back and fell to the ground. So He asked them again, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus answered, "I told you that I am He. So, if you seek Me, let these men go." This was to fulfill the word that He had spoken: "Of those whom You gave Me I have lost not one." Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant and cut off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.) Then Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given Me?"


Paul's friends,

Acts 21:7-14 "When we had finished the voyage from Tyre, we arrived at Ptolemais, and we greeted the brothers and stayed with them for one day. On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. He had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied. While we were staying for many days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. And coming to us, he took Paul's belt and bound his own feet and hands and said, "Thus says the Holy Spirit, 'This is how the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.'" When we heard this, we and the people there urged him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, "What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." And since he would not be persuaded, we ceased and said, "Let the will of the LORD be done."

No comments:

Post a Comment