Friday, March 15, 2019

The saga of "The Secret of GOD", as shown in 1Corinthians 1:10; with a renewed mind and our victory as foretold.

We are now looking at 1Corinthians 1 and starting with verse 10 and the division of the church or so says my study Bibles. But with GOD there is no division no none what so ever. Once we have learned the importance of what is required of us all, then we can see why GOD uses repetition of phrases and words so often in the context of His word as a means of our teaching, by His Spirit within us.


1Corinthinas 1:10-17 "Now I beseech[G3870] you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect." (KJV)

1Corinthians 1:10-17 "I appeal[G3870] to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, "I follow Paul," or "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Cephas," or "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. (ESV)

1Corinthians 1:10-17 "My dear fellow believers, because we are surnamed and identified in the name of our Master the LORD, Jesus Christ, I [1, G3870]urge you to speak with one voice, (to say the same things, as Jesus did with his Father and our Father) for we share the same source as our reference; no division or any sense of distance is tolerated, which makes us a perfect match, accurately joined in the same thought and communicating the same resolve. (The word, [1, G3870 from G3844 and G2564] parakaleo, is from para, a preposition indicating close proximity, a thing proceeding from a sphere of influence, with a suggestion of union of place of residence, to have sprung from its author and giver, originating from that source, denoting the point from which an action originates, intimate connection and kaleo, to surname.) Some of the believers in Chleo's fellowship told me about the controversy in your ranks; this is most disturbing! What I was told is that you are divided into groups, were some side with Paul, others with Apollos, still others with Cephas, and even some who say, "we are the Messianic group!" This is really ridiculous: can Christ be cut up into little relics? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into Paul's name? Baptism is not my business or emphasis; I am glad that I only baptized Crispus and Gaius amongst you! (Cripus was his neighbor and leader of the synagogue [see Acts 18:8]. Gaius resided at Corinth. Paul stayed with him when he wrote the Epistle to the Romans [Romans 16:23]; he was also a travel companion of Paul's [in Acts 19:29].)  I distance myself from the idea of employing baptism as a means of branding my ministry with my name! Somehow baptism has become a snare to some who wish to win members to their denomination! Oh yes! Now I remember that I also baptized the family of Stephanus. (In 1Corinthians 16:15, the family (young and old) of Stephanus were the first converts in Achaia.) My mandate was not about winning members for some 'Christian club' through baptism! I am commissioned to declare the Good News without any strings attached; nothing to distract from the powerful effect of the revelation of the Cross of Christ. (The mystery of the cross is the revelation of humanity's inclusion in his death and resurrection [ look at 1Corinthians 2:2 and 7].)

Until next time may the power of this revelation have its effect within you. Then the LORD willing next time we shall pick this up again at verse 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment