Thursday, March 7, 2019

The saga of "The Secret of GOD", taken from Romans 16, the renewed mind and our victory as foretold.

Here we are beginning chapter 16 and the acknowledgment of those who worked with Paul in his missionary out reach. And this we shall look at with little interruption. I will however include the narrative of the Mirror Study Bible that opens this chapter.

"The names of 37 individual believers are personally honored in this chapter of salutation. Seven home churches are also specifically mentioned, five in Rome and two in Corinth. Since Paul never visited Rome before, these people were all acquaintances, converts, fellow prisoners, or travel companions of his before they moved to Rome.
Since Prisca and Aquilla originally came from Rome (Acts 18:2, 26  and 1Corinthians 16:19), they possibly purposefully returned there to start or strengthen the Ekklesia together with a strong team of believers. Their strategy was to scatter several home-fellowships throughout the city. This is reflected in Paul's letter to the Corinthians where he says, "Our expectation is that as your faith increases, out field amongst you will be greatly enlarged so that we may preach the gospel also in lands beyond you." (2Corinthians 10:15-16)

Romans 16:1-2, 3-16 "I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
 Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus: Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ. Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us. Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. Greet Amplias my beloved in the Lord. Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved. Salute Apelles approved in Christ. Salute them which are of Aristobulus' household. Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord. Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord. Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine. Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them. Salute Philologus, and Julia, Nereus, and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints which are with them. Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you." (KJV)

Romans 16:1-2, 3-16 "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae, that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well.
Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks but all the churches of the Gentiles give thanks as well. Greet also the church in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in Asia. Greet Mary, who has worked hard for you. Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me. Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord. Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys. Greet Apelles, who is approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the family of Aristobulus. Greet my kinsman Herodion. Greet those in the Lord who belong to the family of Narcissus. Greet those workers in the Lord, Tryphaena and Tryphosa. Greet the beloved Persis, who has worked hard in the Lord. Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord; also his mother, who has been a mother to me as well. Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers who are with them. Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them. Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you." (ESV)

Romans 16:1-2, 3-16 "I would like to introduce Pheobe to you, she is our sister and serves the Ekklesia in Corinth located in the port of Cenchreae. Welcome her with appropriate saintly hospitality in the LORD. Support her and her business in every possible way you can. I am one of many who have greatly benefited from her care and practical help.
Warmly embrace Prisca and Aquilla, my business partners in the LORD. They are respected in all the Gentile churches for their unselfish lives. They have risked their own necks for me. Salute the Ekklesia in their home. Give my dear friend Epaenetus a warm hug from me. He represents the whole of Asia to me since he was my first convert there. Miriam must also be mentioned; I remember how relentlessly she exhausted herself for others. Embrace my cousin Andronicus and June who were in prison with me. I hold them in high regard as ambassadors for Christ; they are my seniors in him. Hug Amliatus, my lovely friend in the LORD. Then there is Urbanos, my co-worker in Christ, as well as my dear friend Stachys. Acknowledge Apelles, a true veteran in Christ; honor the household of believers in the home of Aristobulus. Say a big hello to cousin Herodian; greet the believers in the Narcissus home. Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa whose work in the LORD bears testimony to their diligence; also my dear friend Persis who works so tirelessly. I also remember Rufus as an outstanding worker in the LORD, and salute his mother who has become a mother to me. I embrace Asyncritus, Phegon, Herman, Patroba, Hermes and all the family in fellowship with them. Warmly greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, as well as Olympas and all the Saints in their fellowship. Our friendship is sacred. The Ekklesia of Christ Jesus in Corinth salutes you." (The Mirror)

Now that we have covered the list of friends all of which were part of the functioning body of Christ in home Ekkleias. We shall, the LORD willing move on to the charge of Paul for their final instructions, which are also ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment