Sunday, April 14, 2019

The saga of "The Secret of GOD", as shown in 1Corinthians 9:24; with a renewed mind and our victory as foretold.

We are now in the last paragraph of 1Corinthians 9 and again as in verse 12 Paul voices his concern for those that might misinterpret his meaning and purpose. With this stand point in mind lets see what he has to reveal for us.

1Corinthians 9:24-27 "Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." (KJV)

1Corinthians 9:24-27 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." (ESV)

1Corinthians 9:24-27 "Athletes run a race to win; their aim is to receive the prize not just to compete! This is why I preach, to persuade you and not just to entertain you! (A soccer player can do magic with his footwork and ball skills, but it is no good if he cannot take the gap and score the goal!) The athlete knows how to draw from focused inner strength in order to win the crown; for them all their effort translates into a mere moment celebrated by a fading wreath of honor. For us to win faith is of imperishable value! I run with certain victory in my every step! I am not shadow boxing when I preach! I deliberately compare myself to the sacrifice and dedication of a champion athlete; in similar fashion I would pummel my body and subdue it! I would deny myself many things in my pursuit to win your faith so that you will not have any excuse to reject my message. I want you, not your money! (Paul is not saying this because he is worried about GOD's approval. It is his audience's approval that he is after: "becoming all things to all types of people in order to win every single one of them!" 1Corinthians 9:12, we would rather suffer lack than insisting on our rights and in the process cause you to be distracted from the gospel of Christ. [Look also at Paul's urgency in Colossians 1:25-28])


In  our next visit we shall, the LORD willing, look into what chapter 10 has to reveal. Until then may the LORD bless in his victory of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment